Wetter is Better III
An Exploration of Watercolor with Teri Valentine
The adventure continues... Continue honing what techniques you've already learned, and learn some new skills in this next set of 4 classes.
Mondays at the WAL StudioTime: 1:00 - 3:00
Cost: $125.00 for WAL members, $150.00 for non-members, payable to WAL
Supplies: This list has been put together, balancing cost vs performance. Avoid the temptation to rush into a local craft store for any old store brand paint/paper/brushes. You'll be disappointed! I buy the majority of my watercolor supplies through Dickblick.com. The listed price ranges are from the Dickblick.com website as of Feb 3rd. You can also checkout Jerry's Artarama, Cheap Joes, or Amazon.
· HB Pencil and sharpener
· White plastic eraser
· Paint Brushes - I highly recommend Black Velvet by Silver Brush. The Susan Louise Moyer Set of 3 Rounds would be a great starting place. Set includes a size 4, 8, and 12 round for $58.66.
· Paint - Good quality student level brands include Cotman by Winsor Newton, Grumbacher Academy and Van Gogh. Both Cotman and Van Gogh can be bought in tube sets, 1/2 pan sets, or open stock tubes. Academy doesn't offer pans. Expect to spend $25.00 - $65.00 for paint. The good news is it will last you quite some time!
· Cotman 1/2 pan sets of 12-14 colors runs in the $25.00-$35.00 range. Their open stock 8 ml tubes run $3.76 each
· Van Gogh 1/2 pan sets of 12 - 18 colors run in the $25.00-$40.00 range. Their open stock 7.5 ml tubes run $3.58 each
· Grumbacher Academy open stock 7.5 ml tubes run $4.54 each
Recommended colors to get started:
· Raw Sienna
· Burnt Sienna
· Permanent Green Light
· Sap Green
· Cad Yellow Deep (Hue) or New Gamboge
· Lemon Yellow
· Cad Red Light or Medium, or Permanent Red Light
· Alizarin Crimson or Quinacrodone Rose
· Ultra Marine Blue
· Cerulean Blue
· Pthalo Blue
If you get tube paints, you will need a palette to put them in.
Paper-I recommend Canson Montval 140 lb cold pressed watercolor paper. It is very nice paper for the price! You will need one 9x12 block (15 sheets) for $16.62. You will also need one watercolor sketchbook . Any of the Canson Artist Series Watercolor book, Canson XL, or Strathmore Visual Journal will work. They are all wire bound, and range in price from $8.00 - $15.00· Small spray bottle
· 2 cups/jars, etc for holding water
· Paper towels, tissues
· A couple of small, cheap synthetic brushes for lifting paint and applying masking fluid
· Blue painters tape (like Frank's Hot Sauce, I put that * on everything
Techniques in Watercolor with Teri Valentine
Continuing or new students welcomed